This dish is perfect for a cold winter night! It's vegetarian, super delicious and easy to make. With zucchini, egg, garlic, ginger, and quinoa, it's packed with nutrients. You could even add in some fresh turmeric to give them an anti-inflammatory spin!
This recipe is made with ingredients from Sprout Market - Using the link here, you can get free shipping and 15% off your first order when you sign up! It's definitely worth scrolling through their products to see all that they offer. They stock so many health food products, you're bound to find items you love at discounted prices - why not give it a try?
I've linked all the products i've used from sprout market throughout the ingredients list, so if you'd like to try it, just click on it! This recipe makes 12 zucchini 'meatballs'.
- 250g Quinoa Pasta
- 2 Cans (800g) Chopped Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- 2 Zucchinis
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- 1 tsp All Purpose Seasoning
- Handful Fresh Basil (thinly sliced or torn)
- 1 Onion (finely diced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (grated)
- 1 tsp or tbsp Fresh Ginger (grated)
- 5 tbsp Almond Meal
- Salt and Pepper
- Grate your zucchinis into a large bowl and add 1 tsp of salt and sit aside for 15 mins.
- While you wait for the zucchini, prepare your onion, garlic, ginger, basil, cheese and egg.
- Once 15 mins is up, take a clean tea towel and place your grated zucchini inside. Over the sink, squeeze the tea towel until all the liquid is drained from the zucchini.
- Place the zucchini back into the bowl and add in 1/2 the chopped onion, 1 garlic, ginger, basil, cheese and egg. Stir until completely combined.
- Next, add in the almond meal, salt and pepper, and seasoning.
- Take a tablespoon of mixture and using your hands, roll it into a ball and set aside. Do this to the rest of the mixture.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add olive oil to cover surface and let warm.
- Add in all the zucchini balls.
- You need to cook the zucchini balls for 2 mins on all sides, or until it's golden on all sides. This is to seal the mixture so that it doesn't come apart in the sauce. Once all are sealed, put them on a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add in the rest of the onion and garlic with some olive oil. Let it cook for 2 mins and then add in the canned tomatoes. Once the tomatoes are simmering, add in all the zucchini balls and cover with a lid. Let this simmer on a low heat for about 10-15 mins.
- While this is cooking, boil a large pot of water. Once boiling, add some salt and the pasta.
- The particular pasta I used cooked for 15 mins, but this may differ with your pasta, so just keep checking it until it's cooked.
- Once the pasta is cooked, strain it over the sink and then add it into the sauce mixture.
- Serve the pasta and sauce up, add some parmesan cheese and basil to top. Voila!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes and any photos if you have some! Remember to use this link for your first shop at sprout market when you sign up - HERE!